09 May 2014

“At the bar”

At the bar
I don’t know much about photography so have struggled to get a good enough picture of this painting. A lot of the subtle colours in the darks of the background have been lost, but never mind, I’m happy with the original.
The painting was worked from an image I found on the internet, I think it was a poster. She didn’t have a jacket or red shoes but I thought they were essential for a relaxing drink after work!
What appealed to me about the challenge of painting this image was the lack of visual information available which still enables the viewer to “see” more than there actually is. One and a bit legs, two bits of hand, no body, no face and no head combine rather nicely to produce an attractive, sophisticated woman!
My favourite bit is the top left hand corner with the sleeve and the hand that isn’t all there holding the glass that isn’t there – love it!
Watercolour 40cm x 30cm
SOLD